The Audi A3 is one of the compact cars from premium brands of reference in the Spanish market. The current generation was launched in 2020, with a five-door Sportback and Sedan bodywork, hence it will need to be updated soon. That will be in the second quarter of 2024. While that moment arrives, the firm offers us a preview, the Audi S3 prototypewhich is being developed in Salalah, Oman.
We might think that in an update there would not be many new features, but the S sports version shows that it will not be a superficial update. There are innovations on several fronts:
- Engine: The S3 is going to be more powerful than ever. It is still powered by the 2.0 TFSI engine, now with 245 kW (333 HP, 23 hp more) and 420 Nm of torque (20 more) than its predecessor, available between 2,100 to 5,500 rpm. The figure is not final, but the S3 is expected to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 4.7 seconds.
- Transmission: The seven-speed S tronic has greater starting torque, compressing the corresponding clutch more forcefully. In addition, the gearshift time at full load has been halved and the engine revolutions increase at part load in D mode. In short: more responsiveness.
- torque splitter: The future S3 adds this element, like the current RS 3 Sportback, which
increases agility and stability. to distribute torque actively and variably between the rear wheels. It does this through an electronically controlled multi-disc clutch on each transmission halfshaft, depending on the driving situation and the chosen driving mode.
- dynamic plus mode: This is a new driving mode that improves dynamics. The torque splitter sends the maximum possible torque to the rear axle and the rear wheel located on the outside of the curve, which tends to oversteer. The idle speed is higher to improve acceleration from a standstill and for the accelerator to respond more directly. The gear change is also delayed, with earlier reductions.
- Sportier front axle: The front axle, of McPherson type, has a new pivot bearing that allows a negative camber of the wheels more than double that of the predecessor model. This greater lean improves steering response and allows for greater control
lateral, which translates into greater grip and more agility when cornering. Together with the
Stiffer wishbones make the sporty compact model even more agile.
- Optimized progressive steering: Progressive direction has the advantage of a relationship
variable depending on the angle of rotation of the steering wheel: the more the driver turns, the more direct the
comes back. To achieve improved steering feel, the characteristics of the steering wheel have been adjusted.
steering, especially in the center position, for greater precision and better handling
- More powerful brakes: The future S3 announces larger ventilated discs on the axle
Forward. The 18-inch brakes with steel discs now measure 357 mm in diameter and
They increase their thickness by 4 mm, to reach 34 mm. The two-piston calipers on the axle
The front ones are also new and the pads are larger.
- Tires: High-performance 235/35 sized rubber is fitted on 19-inch wheels, with precise behavior throughout the entire speed range.
- Electronic stabilization control: All suspension control systems have been adjusted to improve dynamic cornering response and greater handling. Wheel-selective torque control, which lightly brakes the inner wheels during cornering, makes the car turn better and follow the steering angle more precisely.